Newnan School Bus Accident Lawyer
School buses in Georgia transport thousands of children to and from school every day. Unfortunately, accidents can happen. If you or your child has been injured in a school bus accident, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Newnan school bus accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C for the dedicated legal representation you need.
Why Choose Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C.?
- Our Coweta County personal injury attorneys have lived and worked in the community for more than 20 years.
- We are committed to providing our clients with the exemplary representation they deserve.
- We have unmatched results in motor vehicle accident cases, including more million-dollar settlements in Coweta County than any other law firm.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis. You do not pay us any legal fees until we recover compensation for you.
Why You Need a School Bus Accident Attorney in Georgia
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that an average of 30 children are killed every year in school transportation-related crashes. Getting a settlement for a school bus accident means dealing with insurance companies, which are for-profit companies motivated by their own bottom line. School bus accidents may be complex cases involving multiple potentially responsible parties.
Our experienced Coweta County personal injury attorneys can investigate your accident to determine liability, assess the full extent of your losses, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and act in your best interest at all times during your school bus accident case.
School Bus Accident Statistics
- 1,009 school transportation fatalities occurred from 2011 to 2020, averaging 113 fatalities per year.
- 218 were children under 18 years old.
- 52% were between 5 and 10 years old.
- 44 were passengers of school transportation.
- 83 were passengers of other vehicles.
- 85 were pedestrians.
- 5 were bicyclists.
- 70% of the fatalities were occupants of other vehicles involved in the crashes.
- There were 1.6x more fatalities among pedestrians than occupants of school transport vehicles.
- Impacts to the fronts of school transportation vehicles were invovled in the most occupant fatalities.
Causes of School Bus Accidents
School buses are subject to strict maintenance and safety standards and generally safer than most passenger vehicles. Drivers must be trained and held to a higher standard of care. The most common causes of school bus accidents include:
- Bus driver error, including distracted driving, maneuvering errors or driving under the influence
- Inadequate driver training
- Drivers of other vehicles failing to stop for a school bus and injuring pedestrian children
- Distracted driving, speeding, failure to obey traffic laws, or failure to stop or yield
- Bus poorly maintained or containing outdated equipment
- Another vehicle striking a school bus
Who Is Liable?
Most communities in Georgia purchase insurance to cover school bus accidents. Depending on who was at fault for the accident, you may be able to seek a financial recovery from:
- Bus driver’s insurance company, if driver negligence caused the accident.
- Manufacturer of the bus or equipment if a defect or malfunction contributed to the wreck.
- The insurance company of another driver who caused the accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in your own auto insurance policy.
Contact Us Today
Fortunately, school bus accidents are relatively rare, but when they occur, the consequences are devastating. Call Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. at (770) 251-7100, or contact us online if you or your child has been seriously injured in a school bus accident. Our Newnan personal injury lawyers will advocate for your best interest.