Newnan Bicycle Accident Attorney
In a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, the bicyclist is unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, contact Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. as soon as possible. Our Coweta County bicycle accident lawyers will investigate your accident, to determine who was at fault and help you pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries.
Why Choose Our Firm?
At Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C., we have focused our practice on representing injured people.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis, which means you pay us no legal fees until we recover compensation for you.
- We give dedicated attention to our clients, personally ensuring that each of their legal needs are met.
- We have unmatched results in auto accident cases, including more million-dollar settlements in Coweta County than any other law firm.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If a car hits your bicycle, it should be treated as seriously as you would treat a car crash. Bicycle accidents may involve complex medical and insurance liability issues. After a bicycle crash with injuries that was someone else’s fault, it is in your best interests to have an experienced Newnan personal attorney by your side.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 840 bicyclists were killed in traffic crashes in 2016.
- Bicyclist deaths represented 2.2% of the total traffic fatalities nationwide.
- 71% of bicycle traffic crash deaths occurred in urban areas.
- 51% of fatal bicycle accidents occurred during daylight hours.
- The bicycle fatality rate was 5.6 times higher for males than for females.
- In 78% of fatal bicycle accidents, the bicyclist was struck by the front of a vehicle.
- Light trucks were the type of vehicle most frequently involved in traffic crashes in which a bicyclist was killed.
- 29 bicyclists were killed in traffic crashes in Georgia in 2016, representing 1.9% of total traffic fatalities.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
As reported by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, an estimated 45,000 bicyclist injuries occurred in 2015, the most recent year for which injury statistics are available. The six most frequent sources of bicycle injuries are listed as:
- Being hit by a car (29%)
- Falling (17%)
- Roadway or walkway not in good repair (13%)
- Rider error or inattentiveness (13%)
- Crash or collision (7%)
- Dog running out in front of the bike (4%)
Damages You May Be Entitled to Recover
Bicyclists injured through the negligence of others are entitled to claim compensatory damages, both economic and noneconomic. These damages are designed to compensate the injured bicyclist for the bodily, emotional, and financial injuries he or she has sustained. Damages in a bicycle accident case may include past and future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning potential, pain and suffering, permanent scarring or disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional distress.
In certain cases, injured bicyclists may be entitled to pursue punitive damages if the responsible party acted maliciously or with conscious disregard of the consequences of his or her actions. Punitive damages awarded in cases involving alcohol consumption are not subject to a damage cap in Georgia.
Contact Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. Today
At Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. in Newnan, Georgia, our attorneys are tough advocates for injured bicyclists. Call our Coweta County personal injury lawyers at (770) 251-7100 or online, if you or your loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence.