Newnan Drunk Driving Attorney
A driver who is under the influence of alcohol has bad judgment, makes errors, and is often the cause of a serious or deadly car accident. If you or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver, call Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. today. Our Newnan drunk driving lawyers are committed to holding violators accountable and pursuing the maximum compensation available for injured victims.
WHY CHOOSE KAM, EBERSBACH & LEWIS, P.C.?
Our team of Newnan personal injury attorneys has the experience and knowledge to help you with any and all drunk driving injury cases.
- We have achieved unmatched results in automobile accident cases in Coweta County, including more million-dollar settlements in the county than any other law firm.
- Our firm is responsible for 7 out of 10 of the largest auto collision recoveries in Coweta County.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis – you don’t owe any legal fees unless we secure compensation for you.
WHY YOU NEED TO HIRE A DRUNK DRIVING LAWYER
The aftermath of an accident caused by a drunk driver is a frightening time. The injuries are often very serious, life-threatening, or fatal. The cost of medical care and treatment are typically very high, along with the financial losses associated with the inability to work. With the help of our personal injury lawyers, you can be confident that your case will be handled professionally.
Our extensive experience in car accident cases makes us better able to serve you. We will manage every detail of the process for you. The first step is a comprehensive valuation of your case to determine the level of compensation that should be pursued, which is likely far more than an insurance company will offer. We do not want you to become a victim of standard insurance company tactics geared to reduce the compensation paid to you.
DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENTS IN NEWNAN: DRAM SHOP LAWS AND YOUR CASE
With a staggering 24 percent of fatal car crashes in Georgia involving an alcohol-impaired driver, sharing the road can be dangerous. Drivers who are over the limit will be unable to operate a vehicle safely. Whether the alcohol was consumed at home, at a bar, restaurant, or other venues, under the Georgia Code, it may be possible to file a lawsuit against both the driver and the seller of alcohol in cases in which the person was under 21, or was noticeably intoxicated, or when the seller was aware the intoxicated individual planned to drive.
DAMAGES IN A DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT CASE
The damages pursued after an injury or death caused by a drunk driver can include:
- Economic Damages: The cost of medical care, hospitalization, medications, estimated costs of future medical treatment, rehabilitation, the cost of refitting a home if the person now has permanent disabilities, along with the loss of income from work, lost earning capacity, costs of transportation and other actual costs must be pursued.
- Non-Economic Damages: These are damages that impact your personal life, including loss of quality of life, emotional anguish, loss of consortium, or the suffering associated with serious bodily damage such as limb amputation, disfiguring scars, or a brain or spinal cord injury affecting cognitive abilities and motion.
- Punitive Damages: This is a type of financial compensation that is imposed solely to punish, penalize or deter the negligent party. Under Georgia Code, punitive damages can be pursued in a lawsuit in some cases in which it can be established that the drunk driver acted in a manner intended to cause harm, was an act of willful misconduct, malice, wantonness, or a conscious indifference to the consequences of his or her actions.
How Much Compensation Will You Receive?
There is no set amount of compensation paid to drunk driving accident victims in Newnan. However, there are various factors that could affect how much compensation is awarded by an insurance carrier or a personal injury jury if the case goes to trial. These factors include:
- The severity of the victim’s injuries
- Whether or not a victim can go to work
- The length of the recovery time
- The extent of the property damage
- Total level of pain and suffering
- Whether or not there was any shared fault
Steps to Take After a Drunk Driving Accident in Newnan
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a drunk driver in Newnan, there are various steps that you can take after the incident to help ensure you recover maximum compensation. Some of these steps may need to be taken in a different order than what we have listed here, and that is okay. However, please work with your attorney to accomplish as many of these steps as possible to preserve the integrity of your case.
- Seek medical treatment. The number one priority after a drunk driving accident is your well-being, and you need to get to a doctor immediately. If you do not have to take an ambulance to the hospital, you still need to go to an emergency clinic or your primary care physician that day. This helps establish a strong link between drunk driving accident injuries and the incident. Additionally, there may be some injuries that do not show signs and symptoms right away, but that does not mean there are no injuries that you cannot see.
- Involve the authorities. The police need to get involved after a drunk driving accident occurs. Not only do they need to come fill out an accident report, but the police need to deal with the impaired driver properly.
- Gather evidence. If the scene of the incident is safe and your injuries are not critical, there are various types of evidence that can be gathered at the scene. Individuals can use their cell phones to take photographs of everything they see, and they can switch to video mode to take an overall video of the entire scene. This includes vehicle damage, injuries, debris, license plate numbers, and more. If there are eyewitnesses to the incident, their names and contact information need to be written down very quickly before they leave.
- Contact your insurer. You need to contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible and let them know that you have been involved in an accident with an impaired driver. Do not go into much detail about the incident. Do not tell your insurance carrier that you were not injured. On day one, you truly do not know much about the incident. Just let the insurance carrier know that the incident occurred.
- Call an attorney. You need to reach out to a drunk driving accident lawyer in Newnan who can investigate the incident and handle all communication with other parties on your behalf. Your lawyer will be responsible for negotiating with insurance carriers and handling conversations with law enforcement officials.
- Continue medical treatment. It is crucial for you to continue all medical treatment until your doctor says you have fully recovered or that you have recovered as much as possible and that no further medical treatment will improve the condition. If you discontinue care before this point, insurance carriers could work to delay or deny the claim.
CONTACT US TODAY
There is no excuse for driving while intoxicated. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, contact Kam, Ebersbach & Lewis, P.C. today. Our team of Newnan drunk driving attorneys will fight for you and your loved ones’ justice.